You’ll get the best advice by talking to current students as well as faculty and staff affiliated with the MST program. The UCSD MST program offers great flexibility and can be customized on an individual basis. however, this has the potential to give a lack of focus and direction. Here is a list of counseling resources available to help you prevent this problem:
- Other MD/Ph.D. Students: The best advice about the program, choosing a lab, or living in San Diego will come from fellow MD/Ph.D. students. Each incoming student will be paired with a sophomore “big brother”. Your “big brother” can give you the most up-to-date advice on how to study and what to expect during the preclinical years in medical school. A list of current students is included in this manual. All current contact details for all students are available at the MSTP office. Do not hesitate to discuss with students at all stages of their training.
- Director and associate co-directors: Drs. Insel, Neil, Engler, Glass and Wan are available to students at any time.
- UCSD faculty with MD/Ph.D. degrees. (The list can be obtained from Mary Alice Kiisel on request).
- Program Administrative Assistant: Mary Alice Kiisel is always available to speak. Go to her office or call her at x40689 or contact her by email at [email protected]
- Office of Student Affairs staff: are always available to assist you in all parts of the medical school.